Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Japanese Paper Craft Class

As you can tell, Elijah and I beef up on 'things to do' when Eddie is gone. I think it helps the time go by quicker and keeps BOTH of us sane (just being honest)!

I love when signs are in English...such a rarity! Ohhhh it's the small things you miss when you are overseas!
Making our crafts: Step 1: Elijah attaching the heads to the sticks (aka the bodies)

step 2: wrapping paper around the stick bodies to resemble kimonos. Please understand this was a HARD task for everyone in the room! The kimonos have to be wrapped left side over right because of Japanese tradition, there has to be a certain fold on the top near the necks, the Obis(belts) had to be wrapped a certain way too. OH WAIT...all this paper was really small....I mean less than 1 1/2 inches wide!
Elijah said his male and female pieces were going to marry each other
Our finished art work. I know I look dewy....I WAS HOT! Yes, there is A/C in this building, but I was really focusing on getting my folds done correctly...moment of truth...Elijah had NO problem getting his folds correct! NONE AT ALL! I think small fingers really helped him -- or at least that is what I am going to believe ...because it was really hard to believe an 8 year old could 'out-craft' me!!!
Done with project #1! This is what "Ohhhh he has such cute eyes...I will do his project for him" looks like! The lovely, older Japanese women that were teaching the class were impressed by his eyes, so they couldn't stand to see him struggle. He struggled with the second project; but I didn't struggle with this one....the papers were larger!

We made chopstick holders and kimono people pictures


2 comments:

katie said...

How adorable!! He is such a lucky kid to have you.

kimbasa said...

I LOVE your comment about his lil hands being the cause of him out-crafting you! LOLOL! I could just picture the ENTIRE thing now!!! :) Looks fun! Wish I was there w/ ya! :(