Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lake Festival AKA Beetle Festival

Elijah and I gave Eddie some alone time (to mess around with his music) and we went out to another nearby festival with my Japanese friend and her two daughters. FUN TIMES! So this is a Lake Ogawara festival and there is a LARGE exhibit of beetles from all over the world. My Japanese friend told me that Japanese children/youth play with beetles during the summer time. Jr. high school boys often stay up late and go into the woods at 3:00am to find beetles to play with. As an American, I was taken back......"so you play with beetles?" Hey, whatever makes you happy :)
These aren't small beetles either! They are GI.NOR.MOUS! No joke! I mean their bodies were a good 4 inches to 6 inches!

Beetles EVERYWHERE!
Even girls played with them!
They have places set up where you can have your beetle fight another beetle!
I did learn that the reason the beetles don't fly away is because they rarely fly in the day time.
This is ALL the beetle touching Elijah did...ALL OF IT, which was more than I did! I don't play with bugs....NEVER have!
The Power Rangers showed up and performed a live show - this got Elijah's attention.....naturally!
The cutest (ever) Japanese band performed too! These kids were between the ages of 4-6!
They played so well! I really enjoyed them!
He was in the lake playing for 2 1/2 hours, got out to eat and played inside the water for 2 more hours. On the way home he said, "When we get home may I play outside with my other friends?" Ohhhh gee......to be a kid again!

5 comments:

Cassey @http://natural-nurturer@blogspot.com said...

i love your blogs. i miss you. i love you. was the water warm? i guess for a kid? i never felt comfy in any of the water.. i was always so cold. i think elijah should get a pet beetle so he feels more comfortable. :)

Jenny Girl said...

As someone who knows your relationship with bugs, you are my hero for even going NEAR these bugs! Trini stole the iPad from me and read this post. She thought the bugs were cool!

The Breaux Family said...

Cassey - I didn't even put my big toe in the water, I couldn't tell you if it was hot or cold water - but Elijah seemed to of had a great time :) I love and miss you too! Elijah can get a Chia Pet, but a live animal will not be in this house! He barely knows how to keep himself clean and alive.....I can't make an animal suffer under those conditions!

Jenn - Trini is so smart! Thanks for the compliment - you know I only got that close for Elijah's sake.....the things I do for him! To be honest, I saw the small picture of the beetle on the ticket stub, but didn't really realize there would be a HUGE area set up for them until I was 3 ft away from the area.......hmmm if only I could read the kanji on the stub:)

kimbasa said...

1. OH HELL NO! There will never be beetle touching in my house!

2. Was that a pirate Power Ranger?! lol...

3. You know those kids in the band started playing...in the WOMB... no.joke.

4. I love you... counting down the days until you're stateside!

The Breaux Family said...

LOL KIm ...you said a Pirate Power Ranger!

You would know how they do it in Asia...I mean you are bilingual and play 2 insturments AND sing well (I'm just sayin')

P.S. Start saving Jude's clothes for Elijah to fit into!!! Love you!