Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Applause for the Japanese Farmers

Okay so if you really know me you know I LOVE TO EAT!! Not just any food.....it needs to be QUALITY food.  So with that being said.....Japan has the best produce I have ever tasted.  Mind you I've been around the world a couple of times but, the Japanese will almost bring tears to your eyes with the goodness of their food. 

So there is a 'fresh market' right outside the gate here.  No frills believe me -- actually I am pretty sure they don't have any lights in the building....just nature.  Whatever!  They sell cheap DELICIOUS produce.  I am not talkin' Sprouts quality!  These will almost make you dance in the street!

So my friend called me to go get some peaches (they were on sell for 100 yen/each) and she told me to get this 'mystery' fruit that was 'sooooo goood'.  Of course, I got off work early to do this (no lie).  Grabbed the peaches and the mystery fruit.  It was as round and large as an apple.  Purplish in color, purple fleshy meat and so much juice I had it running down my chin.  YUMMERS!!  I ate it (while I was driving).....drove home....went to the gym.....and went to buy some more!

When I got to the counter I asked the lovely Japanese woman the name of the fruit.  She said in her ever so lovely English with a Japanese accent "nectarine"!  HUH?  This was no normal nectarine guys!  It was incredibly scrumptious.........I seriously pulled the car over to the side of the rode to finish it because I didn't want to have any distractions!  Man I don't know what they do to their fruits/vegetables, but I am the first tall, Black female in the Japanese markets to buy them up!

P.S. I can't believe I blogged about fruit! You would understand if you were here!  Wait til I tell you about the carrots!

1 comment:

La Mama said...

Send me one of those!